Recipe: Raw apple pie (vegan)
Today I am going to share with you an easy recipe for a delicious raw dessert – a raw apple pie. I like this recipe because it is simple, easy to make and quite tasty. The sweetness comes from apples and dates, and nuts give it a nice crunchy texture. And even though it only includes natural, unrefined ingredients, it can compete easily with industrially made desserts. So everyone who tasted this, liked it. Chances are you will too 😉
Preparation time: 30 min (+ 30 min for soaking – optional)
- 6 apples
- 1 cup of pecan nuts
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 18 dates
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- Soak the nuts for at least 30 minutes in water.
- Unpit the dates and soak briefly in water.
- Peel the apples and cut in quarters, remove seeds.
- Sieve the nuts and half of the dates and grate them roughly and set aside. This will be our base and topping of the pie. I use a hand powered kitchen machine for grating. If you don’t have that, you can also the chop nuts and dates roughly with a knife.
- Grate 4 of the apples roughly as well.
- Grate very finely or blend the other 2 apples with the other half of the dates to create a paste.
- Mix this paste with the roughly grated apples, add cinnamon and mix it.
- Add a pinch of salt to the grated nuts and use half of it for the base. For serving there are different options, here we arranged it in one big round pie. But you can also make portion sized pies filling the base/topping and paste in cups.
- Then add the apples mixture.
- Finally cover with the other half of the nuts.
Use dried grapes to replace some of the dates, since they go well with apples too.
Live healthy 🙂